Electric Machine Design
With over 25 years’ experience in the design, build and validation of electric machines for automotive and motorsport applications across a wide range of torque, voltage and cooling options, Continental Engineering Services (CES) partners with OEMs, system integrators and entrepreneurs to provide the highest standard of engineering at the right cost.
Our understanding of electric machines has been gained through many development cycles during which we have built a strong knowledge base, enhanced in-house and 3rd party design tools and consistently delivered results to demanding timescales and specifications.
From basic concept to production ready electric machine, CES has the complete skill base from electromagnetic analysis to dynamometer-based performance verification and optimisation: All under one roof.
CES specialises in applications where conventional solutions do not offer the required performance. This is achieved through an intimate knowledge of materials, machine topologies and thermal management.
- We take key data such as energy source / storage (battery) specification, cooling, packaging space, machine goals, drive cycles, NVH requirements and cost targets and propose the most appropriate form factor and materials selection
- Through intensive use of electromagnetic and thermal analysis software tools we de-risk early stage project development
- In-house software tools also enable a FEA derived equivalent electrical model of the machine to be provided to control engineers
- Scalable manufacturing route from initial, technician built, prototypes through to volume production utilising automated assembly and test all with high voltage experience
- Fully equipped prototype manufacturing facility, to enable hand build samples to be constructed under high quality and repeatable conditions
- Three fully instrumented electric machine dynamometers for test and validation of electric machines with up to 270kW, 900V DC link and machine speeds up to 25,000rpm and 750Nm torque
An integrated, highly motivated, team of engineers and technicians covering all the disciplines working with optimised tools and based in modern facilities to partner with your team and accelerate your project.
Methods and Tools
- Siemens Simcenter 2D and 3D electromagnetic FEA with transient motion solvers
- Ansys Motor-CAD for motor analysis
- Internally developed tools to create detailed electric machine design document
Tel: +49 911 217 744 703
Continental Engineering Services combines Software with Hardware, Components to Systems to integrate everything into an overall vehicle concept. Our main focus is the combination of mechanical, electrical, and software requirements to realize the best functionality as well as the most efficient and powerful vehicle system.
We offer a wide range of simulation services for driveline solutions always with the aim for efficiency, performance and innovation, allowing at the same time a reduction on development time and costs. This includes simulations on component, system and vehicle level.
We develop vehicle concepts for new mobility providers and major OEM; from two-wheeler up to commercial vehicles.
Based on given framework we derive suitable system concepts and comparisons as decicion base for the following development steps.
Our goal is to perfectly match the architecture and components on your expectations.