Fuel Cell Powertrain
To achieve a sustainable zero-carbon future, the global transportation sector faces one of the most challenging transformations the automotive industry has seen.
Global emissions regulations and environmentally conscious consumers demand ever lower tailpipe emissions and higher efficiency powertrains. Fuel cells present one of the most promising approaches to meet future needs. Upcoming legislation in the transport sector requires a considerable reduction in CO2. For example, in the EU from 2025, a 15% decrease in CO2 emissions is targeted for both cars and commercial vehicles. Worldwide, other regions are also setting emissions reduction goals – in China, the target is to achieve 2 million FCEVs (Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles) by 2030.
Considering currently available technology, the energy that a BEV (Battery Electric Vehicle) can store, cannot achieve all applications’ performance metrics. This is especially true for heavy-duty trucks. Tare weight of transport vehicles is a critical factor in determining performance, efficiency, and range. The obvious solution is to install larger batteries to fulfill the expected vehicle range targets for commercial vehicles. But higher battery capacities will increase vehicle tare weight and cost and at the same time decrease operational efficiency (through a reduction in load-carrying capacity). FCEV solves this conflict as hydrogen has a higher energy density than BEV, enabling lower overall vehicle weights. Furthermore, refueling an FCEV is tremendously faster than charging an EV using the latest charging technology.
At CES, we can support you in this transformation, applying our experience in developing optimal powertrain solutions by offering our services and products for your vehicle application needs.
Services we offer
- Development of FCEV Concepts
- Development of FCEV auxiliary Components
- System Architecture Development
- Thermal Management and Simulation
- System and Vehicle Simulation
- Development of Operating Strategies
- Prototype Vehicle Build Up
- Integration, Commissioning and Calibration of fuel cell systems
- Vehicle and Component Testing
Components we offer
- Electric Drive Units
- Fuel Cell and Vehicle Control Units
- HV-HV and HV-LV DC/DC Converters
- Power Distribution Units
- Driveline Auxiliaries Components
- HV Cables Assemblies
- Air Compressors
- Air, Temperature and Pressure Sensors
- CES has broad electrification expertise with more than 10 years experience
- Custom control/operating strategy implementation
- Customized solution according to your needs
- Complete project development capabilities, from customer requirements down to vehicle testing
Tel: +49 911 217 744 703
Continental Engineering Services combines Software with Hardware, Components to Systems to integrate everything into an overall vehicle concept. Our main focus is the combination of mechanical, electrical, and software requirements to realize the best functionality as well as the most efficient and powerful vehicle system.
We offer a wide range of simulation services for driveline solutions always with the aim for efficiency, performance and innovation, allowing at the same time a reduction on development time and costs. This includes simulations on component, system and vehicle level.
We develop vehicle concepts for new mobility providers and major OEM; from two-wheeler up to commercial vehicles.
Based on given framework we derive suitable system concepts and comparisons as decicion base for the following development steps.
Our goal is to perfectly match the architecture and components on your expectations.